Full Moon Glory!

Full Moon Glory!
Luna Bright, Full Moon Light!

Lullaby by Nox Arcana - Absolutely Lovely

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Pawns in the Shutdown Game

The Wheel turned to October and with it came the "Government Shutdown".  As a Federal worker, the act of shutting down the Government, has deeply affected me and thousands of my co-workers.  We are pawns in a chess game, with each side, telling us they are doing their best for the country and our lives.

How can that be so, when thousands of Federal workers had to leave their jobs yesterday, with no idea of when or how they will be paid?  For the first time in my life, I am working with no idea, if I am going to be paid for my time. 
Its a bittersweet feeling.  Kinda like having survivor's guilt.  I was deemed "essential", which means I am working, but still not getting paid.  Supposedly people deemed "essential" will get back paid, once this madness all comes to an end.  And my co-workers who are furloughed are not working and won't get paid, once the Shutdown ends.  Madness, complete and utter madness.

The Shutdown also closed the National Parks. 
I can just hear Park staff saying "sorry the Grand Canyon" is closed. 
"Closed?" What do you mean "closed?!"
Our National Parks are the breath and beauty of our country.  They are places of rest and renewal. They are places to reconnect with one's soul and Nature.  Its a travesty and a damn shame that they are closed. 

I have no idea how all of this is going to turn out.  I do know the people we have elected to provide leadership have failed.  And while they play games with our lives, and continue to collect their paychecks, thousands of Federal workers are scrambling to figure out, how they are going to make it, while this dangerous game, continues to be played. 

I'd like to be thinking about Halloween, Samhain, decorating my home, planning parties and events.  But right now, my ass is tied to the yoke of the Shutdown game, living precariously day by day, hoping the knuckleheads will get a clue, grow up, and do their jobs - just like myself and hundreds of other Federal workers are still doing - regardless of whether we are getting paid or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment