Full Moon Glory!

Full Moon Glory!
Luna Bright, Full Moon Light!

Lullaby by Nox Arcana - Absolutely Lovely

Saturday, December 17, 2011

The Art of Being Pagan/Winter Solstice


Deep thoughts. 

I am blessed to live in Colorado, in Denver specifically where the Pagan community is rich and alive.  Each year on the Winter Solstice we gather at Red Rocks Amphitheatre and drum up the Sun. It is a sacred time, a pilgrimage to give thanks to the returning light and the start of winter.

I rise early, the morning still dark and very quiet, the sky blanketed with stars and this year, the Moon.  I get excited knowing I'll see my brothers and sisters, families and friends.  I love the drive in the quiet of the morning, the headlights and taillights all quietly making their way to Red Rocks.

I feel connected as we walk to the top of Red Rocks and the sound of drums touches my Spirit.  It is very hard to put the experience into words.  I always bring my rattles and my little cauldron to burn incense.  We settle in and I began to shake and rattle, as my Spirit flies out to greet the dawn and a peace and serenity settles over me that only this moment can bring.

Sometimes its tough being Pagan in a modern, Christian - God -centered society.  Nobody wishes us a Happy or Blessed Yule, except within own our communities.  When we burn a Yule log during the longest night, its because we are honoring the sacredness of the change of seasons.  We recognize the beauty and sacredness of Nature, which turns our world.  And me personally, I honor the Divine Feminine, which I call Goddess.

During the Holidays, I love seeing the houses lit up and decorated.  In my heart I give thanks because whether one is Christian or Pagan, we all are giving thanks for the Light.  I believe we instinctively know our ancestors sat in darkness and waited for the light to return, thus giving way to metaphors and modern celebrations.

Its been a dark period for me.  I'm looking forward to rising early, joining with my family and friends and drumming up the Sun, then gathering for some well earned hot breakfast.

May we all be blessed this Holiday Season.

Blessed Be,
Priestess Najah

No comments:

Post a Comment